I made this for Christmas morning and it made me want to lay on the floor and kick and scream. Seriously, it'll make you cry it's so good.
I originally got the recipe off the back of the vanilla bean package, but then Jarrod threw it away I lost the package. So on Christmas morning I googled it and found it here.
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup + 3TBS sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- Pinch Salt
- 3 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup chilled whipping cream
- Scrape seeds from vanilla beans into food processor; set aside pod. Add sugar to processor and blend for about 10 seconds.
- Set Aside 3 TBS of vanilla sugar for later use.
- Transfer remaining vanilla sugar to heavy medium saucepan. Add cocoa powder, water and salt. Whisk til smooth. Whisk over medium heat, just until bubbling begins.
- Whisk in milk and 1/2 and 1/2. Add vanilla pod; bring mixture to simmer.
- Remove from heat, whisk in vanilla extract, discard vanilla pod.
- Beat whipping cream and reserved vanilla sugar in medium bowl until peaks form.
- Divide hot chocolate between 6 mugs and top with whipped cream.